Why a scooter is perfect for a city commuter

I've long been a fan of scooters for their cost of ownership, practicality and reliability. But there's a few more reasons why I think a scooter is better than a full size motorcycle if you're commuting within a city.



Ok let's get this out of the way, a motorcycle wins only when you have to get on the freeway. Otherwise, a scooter can do pretty much everything else a big bike could.

1. Cost of ownership for a scooter is low. You can get a 150cc Chinese scooter for less than $1000. In fact if you do your due diligence you can score one for as cheap as a few hundred dollars. Insurance can be as cheap as $5 a month or $60 a year. Parts are cheap, you can buy almost any part for a GY6 150cc motor on Ebay or Amazon. Tires cost as little as $20, brakes $9 for a set and a new carburetor is as cheap as $15. Most 150cc scooters can average to about 75-80mpg.

2. Reliable. I've owned several GY6 scooters over the past 5 years, They're simple to maintain and run forever...given you do an oil change every 1000 miles. I've have very little issues with Chinese scooters and really all I had to do was change the oil and adjust valves, otherwise you just twist and go. No need to replace the clutch like you do on a motorcycle. Oil changes consist of 1 quart. So that means if you really wanted to, you can splurge on some synthetic.

3.Splitting lanes. If your state allows you to split lanes, doing it with a scooter is so much easier. Here's why; scooters are smaller, they can weave in and out of traffic like a one of those Star Wars things that fly through the forest. Sorry I don't know what they're called, not a trekkie. Splitting lanes with a scooter means you won't be clipping any side view mirrors any time soon. I can still split lanes with my big 1700cc motorcycle, but I've clipped mirrors too many times. Now I just split lanes when I know I have plenty of room.

4.Bat out of hell! Yep that's right scooter have great low end torque to help you get out in front of all the cars. This allows you to get the hole shot and get into the best lane possible.

5. Practical. A scooter with a trunk or under seat storage becomes very practical. You can use it to go to the store, school or work. You can keep your stuff safe in the storage areas. I've often used my scooters for quick grocery store errands. I usually can fit one bag of groceries under the seat. In addition, you can park it anywhere. Sometimes I'll roll right up to the entrance of the store and park my scooter there. You'll never run out of parking options.


6. They're a ton of fun! I'm not saying full size motorcycles aren't fun, trust me they are. But the level of fun that a scooter provides is on a different spectrum. It's simple, quirky and...fun. It's hard to come up with other adjectives to describe it other than fun. I guess if you say its "goofy fun," that could probably give you an idea of what I'm talking about.




So there you have it, a list of 6 reasons why scooters are the perfect city commuter. I could go on and on but I've pretty much touched on the top reasons. Well, what are you waiting for? Get a scooter! If you do, get a 150cc or more. That way you can you can keep up with the flow of traffic. But 50cc scooters (depending on your city and state) are allowed to use the bicycle lane.

Comments