Why Buying Chinese Scooters Makes Sense

A lot of people have this idea that Chinese scooters (GY6) are crap. But for me, I think they're great! I've bought and sold at least 15 of them over the years and I think they're very reliable. Sure I can admit some of the fit and finish items like the controls or mirros aren't as great as their Japanese counterpart, but that's about it.

GY6 engines can run for a long time as long as they're maintained. Basic oil changes, valve adjustments and occassional carb cleaning is all they really need. One of the main reasons why I believe Chinese Scooters are great is because of the fact I saw thousands of them while I was visiting Taiwan. These scooters were left out in the rain, some had moss growing on them and a majority of these scooters were abused by the elements. Yet, they still started each time.

Even if they needed repairs, parts are readily available via eBay or Amazon. There's enough Youtube videos to show you how to do a valve adjustment or how to clean a carburetor. They're basic machines and really easy to work on. The only thing I really don't like about them are the plastics. Any time I've had to remove plastics, I'm always afraid I'll break something...which I have many times. That's why I recommend you get yourself a Plastic Welder...trust me it will come in very handy!

Anyhow, Chinese Scooters typically cost way less than a Japanese scooters. Take for example a Honda Elite 80. A good condition one with about 7k miles will run you about $1300-$1500 (trust me I sold one for that much). But a Chinese Scooter that is in the same condition, with less miles will hover between $700-$1000.



Some will question "What about the resale value?!" As I mentioned earlier, I've bought and sold at least 15 Chinese Scooters. Mind you, I'm in it to make money, so that means I buy them for pennies on the dollar. But yes, I can sell these scooters between $900-$1100 all day long. But if you're looking to keep the scooter for a long period of time, then why worry about the resale value right? Then again, I totally get it. People want to feel like when they buy something, they can resell it without losing too much money. Look, as long as you maintain your Chinese Scooter and take care of it, you're probably going to sell it pretty close to what you paid for. How do I know this? Well, I often see the scooters I've sold people relisted again on Craigslist. Typically people ride them for about a year or two then sell them. Guess what, they usually list them close to what they paid for.

Alright, that's about it for now. Price, reliability, cost of ownership and resale value is why I keep buying Chinese scooters. They're great machines that are way under rated.

Comments