You need some motorcycle/scooter bonding time

Over the years I've bought and sold quite a few motorcycles and scooters. Typically I'll get a new bike and I'll spend time on it to get a connection. It's really hard to explain but I feel that I need to be able to connect with the bike in order to get really into it.

How do I connect or bond with a new-to-me motorbike? Working on it is a good way to get my hands dirty and be engaged. Having to wrench on a bike allows me to get deeper into the machine and figure out how certain nuances work. In my experience each motorbike is different. Even the same model bike will have different characteristics that you'll need to get familiar with.

I recall one certain bike a 1977 Kawasaki KZ650 that I had bought. I liked it, but I didn't love it. The bike was just ok. Then it started having carburetor issues. Even though I've ridden for some time, I just wasn't all that enamored with it. It wasn't until I had to service the 4 carburetors and synch them that I finally got my chance to understand the bike and make a connection.



Then I had to replace the ignition coils on the bike and by that time I felt a strong bond. So replacing parts wasn't a problem, if anything it was becoming a joy. The bike ran really well for a few months. In fact, its one of the few bikes I regret selling. This KZ had so much character and pep that I LOVED riding her. She really was a fun bike. But like many of the motos I have, eventually I sold her so I could move on to my next project. She ended up going to a good home where a Motorcycle Minister from Florida would take her back to Tampa.

So there you have it. Connect with your bike by working on it. They're just like people, the more you get to know them, the closer you feel. Working on a bike is the best way to build that bond.

Comments